top of page

What items to bring to your

Personal Information

  • Your social security number or tax ID number

  • Your spouse's full name and social security number or tax ID number

  • Amount of any alimony paid and ex-spouse's full name and social security number

  • Your tax returns for the previous three years. Your Tax Professional can check them for accuracy


Information About Other People Who May Belong on Your Return

  • Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers

  • Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable

  • Income of other adults in your home

  • Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)


Education Payments

  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions

  • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses

  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received

  • Form1098-E if you paid student loan interest


Employee Information

  • Forms W-2


Self-Employment Information

  • Forms 1099-MISC, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s

  • Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts

  • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

  • Office in home information, if applicable


Business Use of Vehicle Information

  • Log showing total miles driven for the year (or beginning/ending odometer readings), total business miles driven for the year (other than commuting), and the business purpose of the mileage

  • Amount of parking and tolls paid

  • If you want to claim actual expenses, receipts or totals for gas, oil, car washes, licenses, personal property tax, lease or interest expense, etc.


Rental Property Income

  • Records of income and expenses

  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation


Retirement Income and Contributions

  • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)

  • Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)

    • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions

    • Traditional IRA basis (i.e. amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)


Savings and Investments

  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)

  • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)

  • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)


Other Income

  • Unemployment, state tax refund (1099-G)

  • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)

  • Amount of any alimony received

  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)

  • Jury duty records

  • Hobby income and expenses

  • Prizes and awards

  • Other 1099


Affordable Care Act

  • Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)

  • Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source (i.e . an employer, insurance company, government health plan such as Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, VA, etc.)

  • Marketplace exemption certificate (ECN) if you applied for and received an exemption from the Marketplace (Exchange)


Other Deductions and Credits

  • Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)

  • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions

  • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

  • Record of moving expenses not reimbursed by employer

  • Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements

  • All other 1098 series forms

  • Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid

  • Real estate and personal property tax records

  • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid

  • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations

  • Records of non-cash charitable donations

  • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals

  • Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes

  • Expenses related to your investments

  • Amount paid for preparation of last year’s tax return

  • Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel)

  • Job-hunting expenses

  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements

  • Record of estimated tax payments made


IRA Information

  • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions

  • Traditional IRA basis


If you were affected by a federally declared disaster

  • City/county you lived/worked/had property in

  • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean up costs, etc.)

  • Records of rebuilding/repair costs

  • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid

  • FEMA assistance information Check FEMA site to see if my county has been declared a federal disaster area.








A Smart Tax Services



bottom of page