Tips on Fast & Affordable Tax Services

February 18, 2017

Dependent(S) Information
  •  Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers

  •  Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable

  •  Income of other adults in your home

  •  Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)

Sources Of Income
  • Employed

    •  Forms W-2

  • Unemployed

    •  Unemployment, state tax refund (1099-G)

  • Self-Employed

    •  Forms 1099-MISC, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s

    •  Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts

    •  Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

    •  Office in home information, if applicable

    •  Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

  • Rental Income

    •  Records of income and expenses

    •  Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

    •  Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

  • Retirement Income

    •  Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)

    •  Traditional IRA basis (i.e. amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)

    •  Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)

  • Savings & Investments or Dividends

    •  Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)

    •  Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)

    •  Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)

    •  Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)

    •  Expenses related to your investments

    •  Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

  • Other Income & Losses

    •  Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)

    •  Jury duty records

    •  Hobby income and expenses

    •  Prizes and awards

    •  Trusts

    •  Royalty Income 1099 Misc.

    •  Any other 1099s received

    •  Record of alimony paid/received with Ex-spouse’s name and SSN

Types Of Deductions
  • Home Ownership

    •  Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements

    •  Real estate and personal property tax records

    •  Receipts for energy-saving home improvements

    •  All other 1098 series forms

  • Charitable Donations

    •  Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations

    •  Records of non-cash charitable donations

    •  Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes

  • Medical Expenses

    •  Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals

  • Health Insurance

    •  Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)

    •  Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source (i.e . an employer, insurance company, government health plan such as Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, VA, etc.)

    •  Marketplace exemption certificate (ECN) if you applied for and received an exemption from the Marketplace (Exchange)

  • Childcare Expenses

    •  Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler.

    •  Wages paid to a baby-sitter. 
      Don't include expenses paid through a flexible spending account at work.

  • Educational Expenses

    •  Forms 1098-T from educational institutions

    •  Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses

    •  Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received

    •  Form1098-E if you paid student loan interest

  • Job Expenses & Tax Prep Fees

    •  Employment related vehicle expenses (tolls, mileage, gas, maintenance, license, property tax, interest expense, parking)

    •  Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)

    •  Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel)

    •  Job-hunting expenses

    •  Record of moving expenses not reimbursed by employer

    •  Amount paid for preparation of last year’s tax return









Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

How not to trow your money away!

February 3, 2017

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square